Thursday, August 26, 2010

New meds

Not a lot has happened since my last post. I'm still sick. I can't tell if the dizziness is subsiding or if I'm just learning to live with it. I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic the doctor gave me. I'd taken it for 4 days and kept getting worse. I developed a fever, I had chills, body aches, sweating, nightmares, hot flashes. I started to hallucinate. I felt this overwhelming sadness everyday around 3 pm (which was six hours after taking the medicine). I was getting migraines. I was itchy and nauseous. My heart was racing. My lips were cracking and bleeding. I was shaking uncontrollably. Not good.

So now I'm on a different antibiotic (since yesterday) and it seems to be working okay so far. The headache and dizziness are really all that's happening. I'm up moving around finally. I've done laundry, dishes. I even made dinner last night for the first time in over a week. I'm still not well, but that's real progress. Unfortunately, reading and typing and all that still makes me dizzy, so I'm trying to keep it to a minimum.

My eating disorder has been sort of on the back burner through all of this. I haven't been eating normally just because I've been so sick. My appetite has been horrible because of the medicine I was taking, but it seems to be returning slowly. There were moments when I was glad I didn't feel like eating, especially since I learned at the doctor's office that I had gained a few pounds. I realized, of course, that feeling that way was wrong. That's the way it works. For me, the eating-disordered thoughts haven't stopped coming (though they are much less frequent). I've just learned, for the most part, to ignore them.

I hope this new medicine will kill the infection without killing me. I am SO tired of being sick.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness, hon, i feel for you! you've had it so rough with this infection. i'm glad that you've been up and around a little bit more and that you are finally on the mend with this new course of antibiotics. don't push yourself to return to normal before you're ready. allow yourself to rest. i know you didn't have much choice with all the dizziness and now you're probably feeling antsy, but seriously, just take care of yourself, okay? sorry to sound like i'm "momming" you :)

    (by the way, i deleted my blog b/c my significant other found it, unfortunately, and he kind of freaked out that i have talked about him in i. but i'm keeping my account up, still reading blogs and commenting and staying in touch with the people on here who have touched me in some way. if you ever want to reach out via email, feel free: diabolicalsymmetry@yahoo.ca)

    ReplyDelete