Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Virtual Support Group/Recovery Buddies

Though it affects the lives of everyone who loves us, ultimately, an eating disorder is a very personal disease. And though no one can make you recover but yourself, having people who understand what you're going through (even if it's only one person) can certainly help. I know that many of us have been in some sort or recovery or treatment facility, talked to therapists, doctors, dietitians, nutritionists, or experienced a recovery support group. But I also know that many haven't. Recovery can be terribly expensive and not everyone (myself included) can financially afford to get the care they need. That's why I've been thinking of creating a virtual recovery support group. I am not a therapist or a doctor or medical professional of any kind, but I have a feeling that many of us could benefit from having a place (aside from our blogs) where we could vent, tell honestly how we are feeling, what we are struggling with, what we need to overcome, etc. I know I could certainly use a little extra encouragement and support and motivation from time to time.

So, I am curious to see if any of you feel the same way. I have created a group via google for eating disorder recovery support. If you are interested in joining this virtual recovery group, please e-mail me here and tell me your name, your e-mail address and your desire to join the group. Or, if you wish, you can just leave that information as a comment at the bottom of this post. Whatever works for you.

I hope that those of you who do join will post to the group frequently and engage in virtual conversations about your recovery journey. However, it's okay to join and become a silent participant, too. Most importantly, this will be a safe and encouraging environment to help us all defeat our eating disorders (not just anorexia. Anyone recovering from any type of eating disorder is welcome). If anyone aims to criticize or condemn, please do not join! Also, don't feel obligated to join if this isn't something that interests you.

For those of you who may not feel comfortable posting and participating in a group environment, I encourage you to at least find one person who you can talk to openly and honestly about your recovery. If you already have that person in your life, that's wonderful. But if you don't and you're interested in finding a recovery buddy, feel free to e-mail me. We all need a little support and motivation and strength from time to time. I would be more than happy to speak privately to any of you about the obstacles you're facing. Again, I'm not a therapist or a doctor of any sort, but I'm a recovering anorexic who also happens to be a good listener.

If you don't feel like talking to me that's okay. Please talk to someone. Help is out there! You just have to ask for it.

22 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I have worked with a dietician and therapist before, but it only got me so far. I'm lucky that I have a supportive family I can talk to, but since none of them have ever experience an ED, I still feel isolated. I would love to join this group, my name is Ashley, my email is arizonacutiepie@gmail.com. I'd love to talk to others going through the same thing as me!

    -Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent idea...I find the idea of group meetings too intimidating, but I need a bit of extra support from people who understand what I have. My family has a hard time understanding what I'm going through. My name is Liz and my email is awheeler607@verizon.net. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I could really use some extra support right now. I am Angela and my e-mail is angelaelackey@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to be part of this, what a great idea!

    cheerylover02@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank YOU!

    melissaannmiller@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great. I would like to be a part of it. I am Jacqueline and my e-mail is jacqueline.hough@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea! :)
    Haley
    hg129@msstate.edu

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I would love to join this group. I'm Carli- my email address is cswhitchurch@msn.com. Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello friends,
    thank you.
    katethemouse@gmail.com
    with care,
    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your interest! I've sent out e-mail invitations to all of you. If for some reason you didn't receive them, please let me know.

    Also, for anyone else who is interested in joining, it's not too late!

    - Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't receive an e-mail. My e-mail is angelaelackey@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to join. I really miss the e-mail group I used to be a part of.

    E-mail is betweenlivingandexisting@gmail.com

    Thanks,
    Tiptoe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd also like to join. I think it's a great idea.

    Afterglow05@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I said in my E Mail to you. You are an Inspiration to us all. Keep up this VITAL Blog

    Yours

    KS (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a really neat idea!!

    Lily : ochclothier@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This could potentially be really helpful.
    laurazanotto@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to join!
    Melissa
    Ultramellloyd@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Im recovering all on my own because my parents choose to ignore the problem and im not about to bring it up. I'd sound attention seeking to them. Its so hard almost all the time to force myself to eat. And to know what to eat or how much to eat. A support buddy would be amazing. Cammyclaire94@aol.com 1

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't tell anyone in my life about my problem, but trying to recover by myself is so hard that I'm starting to slip back into the routine again and develop depression. I tried talking to a friend of mine before she went away but she said talking about it doesn't help and actually makes it worse. It might sound like a strange question but does getting a support buddy really help?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am trying to recover on my own as well. I told a friend, but he really doesn't know how it feel and obviously don't understands it. I would love to have a support buddy, because i find it really hard to fight anorexia alone. sasha.adrian@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just need someone to talk to about this whole recovery thing. I'm terrified of co-operating because I feel like I'll ruin all my progress...Email me please: LoveBitesx@hotmail.com I'll message you back ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi is this group still running? if so my email is jess.l.ryan@hotmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete