Friday, August 6, 2010

Moderation

I had a rocky day today with a lot of unwanted frustration. Immediately my gut reaction was to not eat. Usually, when I'm stressed or sad or angry or upset, the last thing I want is food. I start devaluing myself which leads to lots of unhealthy and triggering thoughts. Next thing I know, I'm refusing to eat. And then someone in my life is trying to make me. And then we argue. Someone cries (it's always me) and I give in and eat after all.

But that's not what happened today.

I didn't let the frustration get to me. I came home and ate some chips. Yes, chips. Not rice cakes or fat free crackers or soy puffs. Real chips. Fried. Fattening. Delicious.

I didn't even think about it really. I was hungry. It was too early for dinner and too late for lunch. So I had some chips.

This might not sound like much to anyone, but for me it's a very big deal. The even bigger deal is that I didn't throw them up.

That doesn't mean I'm going to start eating chips and unhealthy foods on a regular basis, simply because I try to live a healthy lifestyle. It's honestly not even about the weight, but for the sake of what is necessary for taking care of my body.

But it reminds me that the old adage I used to disagree with so much may be true after all (at least as far as food is concerned).

Everything is okay in moderation.


Today was another good day.

2 comments:

  1. So true. Everything is okay in moderation. I am very proud of you. It is a big deal. You are doing what you need to do in order to be healthy. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, so proud of you. I love being able to come to the blogosphere and feel like we are all ganging up on ed together and living our lives. We deserve to live our lives. We deserve to be free of our demons. Way to take such a liberating step:) Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete